Thursday, October 13, 2011

Field Trip

David's class have been planning a field trip to Montrose Orchards for 'bout a month now.  Pumpkin picking, hayride, cider, donuts, etc.  I decided to go on the field trip as well, and bring Noah.  Noah was originally staying home with Dave, but my Father-in-law was having surgery today, so Dave went with him.  As he should.  So, Noah came too.  The boys have been talking about the "Appo Ochard" (Noah) for days.  I was honestly excited too--I love cider mills, and all things Fall.

I drove separately with Noah while David road the bus.  That was one of the big things he was excited about--the bus ride.  So, the rule stands as "if a parent is present, the child stays with the parent at all times, and the parent is responsible for them."  Ok, no problem.  Well, evidently--David becomes deaf when he is around friends and others in authority.  In his mind the teacher is the ultimate authority on everything, and mom is kinda in the way and just tagging along to ruin the fun.  He tends to gravitate toward his teacher most of the time, and I repeated call him back to stay with me.  It could be worse--he couldve been one of those kids that just wants to run away from everyone, but regardless--STAY WITH ME.

He wanders away a bit and stops about 6 feet away...  "David."  no reaction.  I'm about 4 feet from him now.  "David!"  starts looking around and even at the SKY to discover where that strange, unfamiliar voice (ahem, mine.) is coming from.  Dear, I guarantee that 99% of the time your name is called, it will not be coming from the sky.   So i hoist up Noah and move right next to him, so I can physically grab his shoulder to get his attention.  How many times should I really have to tell him to stay with me?

Noah is kinda whiny and wants to do everything on his own the entire time too.  Not awful, but enough to be frustrating.  Sure, drink your cider by yourself, and be horribly offended when you soak your shirt and pants.  He actually did not handle that too bad.  Normally he wouldve demanded new clothes immediately, so I was pretty proud of him.  Kinda annoyed when he continued to spill applesauce on himself, but hey--kid's gotta learn, and he didnt cry.

Well, regardless of the need for a hearing test and a Baby Bjorn that is made for a 2 yr. old, the trip went fine.  No one was hurt.  The boys liked choosing a pumpkin from the field, the hay ride, eating lunch on top of straw bales, and their cider and donuts.  And david loved the bus.

On our way home from the school...
David:  "Next time I just want to go by myself"
What a sweet, loving child.
We'll see, but it doesnt sound like an awful idea to me....

1 comment:

  1. "Well, regardless of the need for a hearing test and a Baby Bjorn that is made from a 2 yr. old, the trip went fine. "

    that may be the funniest thing you have ever typed.

    ReplyDelete