Sunday, April 15, 2012

Halo

Another story from the park...

A few days ago Leah and I met up at the park with our kiddos.  Kobe did a great job playing with the younger kids and including them in the "games."  They started playing "Halo," and proclaimed themselves aliens and zombies  (are there zombies in Halo?).  Noah adamantly refused to be anything but a spider.  Way to cooperate, kid.

Two other boys wanted to join in the game too.  Kobe told them what they were playing and the 'character options.'  One of the boys was just fine with it and chose to be a zombie.  The other boy...  "I'm gonna be a murderer."  um, what was that?  I think Kobe was kinda thinking the same thing, but he played it off.
Kobe: "ok, like a murdering zombie."
Boy: "No, a murderer.  I'm just a regular guy who likes to stab people."  

Let's keep in mind that this boy is approximately 8 yr old.  He is not a gothed out 15 yr old.  What 8 yr old think like this?  I know some kids like playing the 'bad guy' (Noah), but this was extreme.  I couldn't believe he had just said this stuff.  And he said it in front of my very young, impressionable boys.  Well...  Mama bear came out...  I marched over to the murderer and said, "No, you are not going to play with my kids and pretend to be a murderer.  That's disgusting.  Pick something else."

He looked at me, and i could tell he was embarrassed, but he smiled and said "ok."  Good.  I'm glad he wasn't one of those kids who like to argue with adults.  He comes up to me a minute later (mind you--the game is still Halo.  aliens, zombies, and a spider) and says, "I'm gonna be a rich guy, is that ok?"  Well, that was the weirdest alternative I had ever heard.  "yeah, that's fine."  wow.....  Kobe's face became priceless at this point.  Murderer tells Kobe his great plan.  You could tell Kobe still wanted to try to spin this kid's character into something that fit into game, but he knew there was no point.  He said, "ok" and walked away. Very well handled, Kobe.  Murderer had to step it up a notch though.  he starts chasing after Kobe.  "Hey, I even made up a song about money!"  walking, walking, walking...  "Get lots of money.  I got to get lots of money.  I have a lot of money......"   walking, walking, walking....  


I am now greatly concerned about this kid's home life.  Now, I have to keep in mind that he did listen to what I said to him with out a hint of arguing, so he probably isn't completely ignored at home.  However, I fear his father may be a murderer.  Or.... this is the more likely scenario:  he probably watches whatever he wants on TV and plays violent video/computer games.  Obviously, that was a guess, but it fits.  He also may play with all older kids in his neighborhood, and "murderers" is a common game amongst them.  Either way, the whole situation was so very weird.  Now, the "rich guy"?  No clue.  maybe more adult TV shows....  Watching some Mad Men and Sopranos.  No idea about that one.  He managed to come up with the weirdest 'characters' I had ever heard of, especially from an 8 yr old.



No comments:

Post a Comment