Thursday, October 6, 2011

At Peace

My Grandpa passed away this evening.

He was my Dad's dad.  He lived in Florida, so I did not see him as much as would've liked.  But when I did see him, I remember laughing a lot.  And I remember his pipe.  He was always cracking jokes--usually of the cynical or morbid variety.  At any family event my mom wanted to "sit next to Ross."  That way she knew she would have a good time.  He took his pipe with him everywhere.  Grandpa was known for his pipe smoking.  He referred to it as his "peace pipe."

Ross Woods was a WWII vet.  he went though a LOT and survived it all.  His plane was shot down, he broke his neck--he survived.  In fact I believe he may have been the only survivor of that crash.  He had a metal plate in his head, but did not become paralyzed, far from it.  He danced at everyone's wedding until his eye sight finally failed him.

He also survived raising 10 kids.  He deserved a medal for that alone.

He was not a perfect man, but any imperfections happened before my time.  He was lovely.  He was a good man.  I will miss him dearly, but I believe he is at peace now and without pain.  For that I am happy.

1 comment:

  1. it is so funny to try to describe him.

    he was not "loving" per say, but you knew he loved you.

    he was so funny, but it was the perfect mix of dark and sarcastic.

    oh Grandpa, we will miss you

    ReplyDelete